Monday, December 7, 2009

Christmas

I know, I know, it's still to early to do a Christmas post. I'm going to do one any way.


I used to be a real Grinch during the Christmas season. I remember in Middle School how much I hated what I considered a pale imitation of a pagan festival put on by Hallmark. Still, as Christmas got closer I'd get a childlike joy that I worked hard to squash into a tiny, bitter, little ball by Christmas Eve. I'd sit through Christmas services at church with a smirk on my face, attend my Great-Aunts Christmas Eve Party with an eye roll and a plead for my parents to let us leave in an hour. After the party we would always drive around looking at Christmas lights, I would pretend I was asleep in the car. We'd get home and Mom would make us change into the most horrific matching Christmas pajamas in the world. My sisters and I would dutifully put them on and go to bed.

The next morning we would all wait for our Grandparents to arrive, open our presents and after everything was open a terrible, awful, hateful thought would run through my mind: Is this it? Even as a preteen monster I felt awful for feeling that way. I couldn't figure out what I was missing, why Christmas stopped being fun, why I wasn't happy or excited for it any more.

It wasn't even about not getting what I wanted for Christmas, my parents always pulled out all the stops and I'll be the first to admit that my sisters and I were incredibly blessed and even spoiled by them during Christmas. It was something that I couldn't understand. Why was Christmas always such a huge build up and then such a huge letdown?

I felt that way until my Senior year of High School.

2 comments:

Sadako said...

I'm pretty cynical about Xmas, too--I don't celebrate it so I see it as kind of a transactional thing. People giving each other money except does it really even out...etc.

Except...for Christmas specials! Peanuts 'n Rankin Bass 'n all that good stuff. Now that to me is the meaning of Xmas. (I'm a heathen.)

Callie said...

The holiday's in general are easily snarked, Christmas is the easiest to become disillusioned with though. It's become this juggernaut, eating up all the things it's supposed to stand for. Don't get me wrong though, I love Christmas, I'll post about my love for it later. But that feeling I had early in life was valid.

Post a Comment